Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father’s Day!

Open-Face New York Steak Sandwich with Garlic Balsamic Glaze and a side of Childhood Memories

This clip was done quite a while ago using the older, "primative" equipment, and was previously posted on my old blog, but it’s now making it Food Wishes debut. So, while this will be a re-run for some of you, most of you probably have not seen it. And, as you’ll soon read below, this clip, out of all the ones I've recorded is the recipe that most reminds me of my father, John. This one's for you Dad.

Growing up, this open-faced sandwich was probably my favorite restaurant lunch item. I used to tag along with my father out on the golf course, and after the round he would take me to the clubhouse for lunch. I always ordered the same thing; the open-face New York steak sandwich. My favorite part was the way the toast would soak up all the wonderful juices, and hey, for a kid to eat a sandwich with a fork and a knife…that was quite a grown-up experience. Sitting there with my Dad, eating with the men, while they talked and laughed and argued about the round they had just shot, is one of my earliest, and fondest culinary memories. I would even get a glass of Coke with a cherry in it so I could share in the cocktails that were an important part of this post game ritual.

Speaking of golf, I want to wish a very happy Fathers Day to my father-in-law Al! Al has generously treated me to countless rounds of golf all over Northern California. In addition to being a great golfer, he is an even better person and father. He is away on vacation to Clear Lake for the weekend, and I can only hope he is left in peace to watch the final round of the US Open. What more could a father want on this day? Thanks Al and we hope you enjoy your day!

I’ve tweaked the original a bit with the garlic balsamic glaze. The original was usually just served with garlic butter. I hope you enjoy this classic as much as I do! I recommend using NY strip steak, or Top Sirloin for this, as I find rib eye too fatty, and tenderloin too lean. Another key is a good quality, heavy-duty sauté pan, preferably the stainless steel/copper bottom style. You can use a standard non-stick if you must, but the steak juices won’t caramelize as well, which is the key to this amazing sauce.



Ingredients:
8 oz New York strip steak
salt, black pepper, and paprika to taste
2 cloves garlic
2 tbl balsamic vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp ketchup
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup water
1 tsp butter
2 slice Italian bread

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

it all worked well for me except for the garlic, it did burn a bit. Otherwise, terrific!!!

Unknown said...

That looks great!
Will definitely remember this for a special occasion luncheon.

Anonymous said...

Very cool technique... Looks delicious.

Chef Wendell said...

I've made this 3 times now (2 times for myself and once for my family) and it's been such a great success Chef John. Thank you very much for the recipe and guidance!

Adam said...

Just made this now... so amazingly delicious and juicy. thanks john!