Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Bomba Calabrese – This Pepper Spread is the Bomb, Literally

This amazing Calabrian pepper spread is as delicious, as it is unknown. It doesn’t even have a Wikipedia page. Hey, even I have a Wikipedia page. But, despite the fact there’s not a lot of information available, I believe I got relatively close, and really love how this comes out.

As I said in the video, I like this best served simply on sliced bread, but beyond that, this is one of the most versatile condiments I know. You can toss it with pasta; add it to a sandwich; fill an omelet; top a pizza; use it like a salsa on grilled fish; spice up a potato salad; as well as create the world’s best deviled eggs. Actually, I’ve never made deviled eggs with it, but I know it’d be the best.

I was intentionally vague with the cooking times and temperatures. Basically, once the onion, eggplant, and mushroom mixture is sautéed, you add your peppers, and simply cook until everything is soft and tender, no matter how long it takes. You’ll probably stay between medium and medium high heat, but be prepared to adjust as need be. This is not something we want browning in the pan, before everything is cooked.

Another key is waiting for this to cool down completely, before you finalize the seasonings. We always want to adjust a recipe at the same temperature it’s going to be served at, since that just makes sense. Another thing that makes sense, and a lot of sense, is you giving this bomba Calabrese a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients to make about 4 cups Bomba Calabrese:
3/4 cup olive oil, divided
1/2 yellow onion
1 small eggplant
4-5 large button mushrooms
2 pounds hot cherry peppers (or about 1 pound after trimming)
1 pound sweet red bell peppers (or about 12 ounces after trimming)
1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
1/2 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 cup white wine vinegar, or to taste

22 comments:

Pezza Fetora said...

Is it true that you like play the trumpet around San Francisco?

Epheros said...

Chef, Is that bread listed anywhere on your site or is that something we have to beg and plead for? It looks like a beautiful, light and airy Galician loaf.
Thanks!

kasmir said...

Chef quick question. I bought several jars of Calabrian peppers. I was wondering if you thought I could replicate this recipe by replacing the hot cherry peppers and the habaneros with these jarred Calabria peppers. They are quite spicy both heat and intense flavor wise. Let me know what you think.

Xiuhtecuhtli said...

This looks delicious, I want to make this, this weekend.

Brian Watson said...

Would love to be able to subscribe to this blog by email... Could you enable that option for us? RSS is not really a current option...

Spinni said...

Well, there is a lot of information on this stuff on the internet, it just is in italian. :D

If you like the Bomba try to find 'Nduja (spreadable calabrian salumi, very spicy). It is to die for.

apami said...

I love these kind of spreads recipes and all the ideas you gave for how this one can be used. I would love to see more recipes of this type, like tapenade (I have made my own before, but still), baba ganoush, and others I can't think of at the moment. So flavorful!

Unknown said...

Thank you Chef John for all those wonderful recipes. I have stop counting how many of them I made, but it's a hit every single time. This last one will be on the menu for my summer party next month with a crusty pain de campagne à la Jim Lahey!
If you plan to visit France and Paris let me tell you that there will always be a room here in our house for you and your family, it would be a honour
Stéphanie from Ermenonville, France

Ozzman82 said...

Hi chef John, i'm going on a fishing trip next week and that recipe would be perfect for sandwiches. I was planning on preparing some food Saturday in advace, could i keep this recipe in the fridge for 4-5 days after i make it?

Thank you very much, you Da Bomba!

noneotherthanozzy said...

Hey Chef!

So my wife is allergic to eggplant. Any chance there is a good substitute such as zucchini or a different kind of squash!

Thanks!

Unknown said...

Hi Chef John! Another great recipe! I was just wondering how long this will keep?

Ozzman82 said...

Hola Chef John, how long can i keep this recipe in the fridge after making it?
Should i specify "before it goes bad"? ;)
Thanks a bunch!

Unknown said...

anchovies....

Harley Guy said...

Be nice to have a "print recipe" button on website.

koi seo said...

hey chef thanks for all those wonderful recipes. I have stop counting how many of them I made, but it's a hit every single time.

Gclub
บาคาร่า

Unknown said...

Can I replace the hot cherry peppers with Bhut jolokia(ghost chili).

Unknown said...

Chef John could you please do a halal style chicken over rice with their hot sauce and white sauce... I can't find a good recipe.
Hope all is well

Unknown said...

Chef, what's the shelf-life for this? This looks incredible!

lilbutcher said...

Chef How long is the shelf life without preservatives?

Unknown said...

I haven't even read the whole post yet, because I clicked over to your Wikipedia page to discover we have the same birthday! So hey, happy birthday in a couple weeks! Mine is the big 5-0, which, unless Wikipedia is lying to me, you've already done, so it must have turned out okay. If I wind up cooking for myself, I'll probably make your chicken piccata. :-)

kirev said...

Something like this is a national dish in Macedonia. Check ajvar. Or lutenica (lutenitza)...

Unknown said...

Made this using 3 red bells and countless (two # worth) red Fresno peppers. I live in a suburb of LA (so should've easily found the "right" kind of pepper) and called my local Whole Foods, Bristol Farms, Sprouts and Gelsons and not ONE of them had Hot Cherry Peppers, so I just used what my Ralph's produce guy kindly suggested as a substitute. I ABSOLUTELY skipped the habaneros because the Fresnos were plenty hot. And speaking of hot, I was too cool to use gloves. I won't make that mistake again, as my hands burned for the ensuing 3 hours.
This was AWESOME served with lightly grilled ciabatta. Then with pita dunked into it. Then with a spoon. It's terrific and we'll happily make it again. I did use less vinegar and used White Balsamic instead of white wine vinegar.