Saturday, April 7, 2018

Sweet Potato Pan-Dumplings with Bacon Butter – Good Save

What started out as a tragic, waterlogged disaster of a sweet potato dumpling attempt, turned into a triumph we’re calling  “pan-dumplings.” As usual, I did little to no research, so someone may have already invented pan-dumplings, but until I hear from you, I’ll be taking the credit.

I really liked being able to spoon the dough/batter directly into the pan, and cutting out the boiling step made these faster, and we have one less pot to wash. The bacon butter was very nice, but I can think of a dozen sauces that would work with these. If you’re doing it as a main course, anything goes, but as a side dish, I’d keep it simple, as we did here.

Since this was sort of an experiment, I wasn’t paying too close to the exact amounts, but the list below must be pretty close. You can play around with more or less flour, and/or cheese, and cook test dumplings until you lock it in. I wanted something with the taste of roasted sweet potatoes, but with more of a gnocchi-like texture, and I think this was pretty close, which is why I hope you give these pan-dumplings a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for 2 large or 4 smaller portions:
12 ounces cooked sweet potato
1 large egg
1/4 cup goat cheese or cream cheese, plus more to garnish
1/2 cup *self -rising flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
freshly ground black pepper and cayenne to taste
sliced green onions to top

* To make your own SRF, for every cup of all-purpose flour combine 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon fine table salt.

13 comments:

MG said...

Savory sweet potato pancakes.

Unknown said...

what kind of goat cheese because the last time i bought goat cheese it was gritty like it had sand in it

Mary W said...

I used to do similar with left over SP casserole which usually had bits of pecans and cinnamon and brown sugar. But I never officially did a dumpling since I was lazy and just used leftovers (butter, egg, and flour already baked inside). They were great but never enough SW left and only once a year. THANK you, why I didn't think of this before is a mystery. Can't wait to try this and I'm thinking orange juice inside or applesauce would also make something I could call breakfast instead of just because I love SP and love anything fried - extra good with the bacon.

Grape Snow said...

~ I came, as instructed in your description, for the sweet potato pan-dumplings, and, staying for the life lessons. As I watched this video with our so, he jokingly commented,
‘Wakey, wakey! Eggs and Bakey!’
“But I’m vegan...”
‘Wakey, wakey. Vegetables and sadness.’
Yes, I’m plant based, however, I still cook non-plant based for our large family. Your Thomas Jefferson Mac & Cheese and Creamy Buffalo Dip are just two of our family favorites. I’m going to let our 11 year old daughter make these sweet potato pan-dumplings over their Spring Break this week, seeing as goat cheese is her absolute favorite cheese. We’re thinking of using Okanawa Sweet potatoes as well- seeing as her favorite color is purple.
Thank you for sharing the almost-disaster, as well as the final triumph outcome. I tend to throw in the towel on a recipe I’m experimenting with, for at least a month, if it fails. Pretty sure that means I let the food win, however, I like to think of it as postponing the fight ��

p.s.
Even though the family is having fun with their ‘Sorry Mom, it’s not vegan!’ remarks- the jokes on them, because, in just a couple of hours, my chickpeas will have soaked for 24 hours and I’ll be whipping up your falafel recipe ... not sure if I’m going to share ����

Scott said...

Well, it's official. One of my other favorite YT cooking personalities, Pailin of Hot Thai Kitchen, says she loves your videos! At 10:14 or so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyIwGueEhQg

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing boo-boos and all. Actually...both versions looked scrumptious. Gonna make these tonight!

Tobias Wehrum said...

Hello Chef John, thanks a lot for the recipe! Mine came out tasting amazing (especially with maple sirup!), but didn't really crust up nicely (the crust was really thin and almost came off when taking it out of the pan) but I had to take them out at some point because they parts of the skin became so dark. Yours look much more crispy in comparison.

I only had small eggs, so I used two, and I had a bit more sweet potato than in the recipe. Should I use less egg, or maybe more flour? Higher temperature?

Here is how they looked like: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6b1bmpsucpfy2sd/2018-04-08%2016.49.59.jpg?dl=0

mattjeast said...

Probably a dumb question, but why do you use self rising flour instead of just AP flour plus baking powder and salt? Personally, I never have SRF in the pantry, but I've always got the other three. Just curious, not a criticism.

Bruce said...

Dear Chef: How much butter & bacon? Could be I'm having a senior moment but I simply don't see it. p.s. After watching your show for many years I have realized I really need to take more vacations. Love ya man.

Neen said...

CJ, unfortunately food wins in my kitchen about 40% of the time. I'm talking about messing up chicken cutlets some nights! These, were delicious & I almost felt like a culinary genius but I was beaten down more than once by smoking, burning butter and eventually got disgusted with washing out my pan and starting over, so I'm making one gigantic cheater dumpling. Bacon butter only lasted for the 1st batch but they were good with plain old butter too, I think the goat cheese is a match made in Heaven! Thanks!

Unknown said...

We're currently waiting for the dough to rest and have determined I would love a sweet potato & goat cheese scented candle! I may also be really hungry....

I can't wait to taste the finished product. Thanks again for another truly amazing dish! I must confess, my boyfriend and I love to cook your recipes =D

Jenny Zirbes said...

This looks delicious and I´m raring to try it! Since bacon is so expensive around these parts and I´ve already splurged on my $5 sweet potato, what are some of the other sauces you were thinking of trying with this?

Unknown said...

Hey Chef - I have a food wish: Giardiniera